The origin of the Kids and Math team can be traced to seven youth who see themselves as stakeholders of the educational system namely: Princess Allotey, Ali Sumaila, Arnold Atchoe, Ato Apenkwah, Reuben Idan, Bruno Edoh and Prince Odartey. As time went on, some members left the team and new members came in. The Kids and Math team is currently made up of 7 team members: Princess Allotey, Nana Yaa Siaw, Prince Odartey, Obed Baah, Daniel Terkpetey, Richmond Tetteh, Samuel Boateng and more than a hundred volunteers from different walks of life.
It is a registered non-governmental organization composed of high school and university students and graduates who view themselves as stakeholders of the educational system and love to help basic school students realize and appreciate the versatility of Mathematics. We provide a continuum of services ranging from teaching to the donation of books for these basic school children in underprivileged schools and we also work closely with the teachers and heads of the respective schools that help impact the youth. Currently, our beneficiary schools are Childtime Preparatory School, Ashaiman Presbyterian School, Standard Preparatory School, Asem Boys Basic School, Ecole Primaire Mbour Maure, Nana Kwaku Boateng Basic School, Agbedrafor Junior High School.
Vision and Mission
To help kids realize and appreciate the versatility of Mathematics. We expect a gradual concept change towards Mathematics, a growing passion towards Mathematics and a willingness to explore this field in the development of Ghana by the general populace.
Aims and Objectives
- To teach Mathematics in a more practical and versatile way to basic school children in Ghana; focusing more on topics students have problems with Mathematics
- To provide mathematics books and other learning materials to basic school children in Ghana
- To teach school children intelligible and smart ways of solving mathematics questions
- To form an Arithmass Math Club in every beneficiary school
Executive Members are team members who are also heads of the committees and are called ArithTeam Members. Committee Members are made up of Kids and Math Volunteers and are called
- In February 2015, we donated 133 books to students of Childtime Preparatory School.
- Weekly Math Club Meetings with the students of Childtime School and Ashaiman Presbyterian School.
- Termly interclass quizzes with the students of the beneficiary schools.
- One-on-one sessions with the students to discuss their written Math Autobiographies
- Invite the older youth to motivate the students with some words of encouragement.
- Create awareness about the Kids and Math Project and have about ninety volunteers now.
- Three committees in Kids and Math- ArithTeaching Committee, ArithFundraising Committee, ArithAwareness Committee with a new committee ArithWelfare Committee.
- Donated 100 books to Ashaiman Presbyterian School on December 8th, 2016
- Won first place during the 2nd AccraSOUP Dinner and awarded some grants to continue with the Kids and Math Project.
- We partnered with YoungAtHeart GH on 13th February 2016, to organize an ICT Outreach for students of Childtime Preparatory School.
- Interacted with Professor Francis Kofi Ampenyin Allotey, President of the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences and Professor Sitsofe Anku, President of The Mathematical Society of Ghana, Mr. Miracule Danny, President of Vedic Math Ghana and President of Novan, Dr Yaa Adubea Cole, Coordinator of the Department of Teacher Education University of Ghana and Mr Francis Torgbor, Pioneer of the Ghana Maths Camp.
- Invited as Guest Speakers at the Toastmasters Club of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Accra on 1st June 2016.
- We have been interviewed on Radio Universe, GhOne and Starr FM.
- We currently have Kids and Math Chapters in Kumasi and Navrongo, which were pioneered in early 2017.
- We participated in the Ghana Youth Social Entrepreneurship Competition 2017 and won second place. We also got funding from Digital Opportunity Trust Canada to test the ArithOut Project.
- Currently, we hold teaching sessions in Nana Kwaku Boateng Basic School in Koforidua through Kids and Math. We have reached 40 students during each teaching session which is held twice a week on average.